Business in heat and energy sectors may only be conducted on the basis of a license or a certificate.
Both license and certificate are issued by the Regulatory Office for Network Industries (hereinafter only as “the Office”) for legal and natural persons after fulfillment of conditions stipulated by law.
Laws stipulating the business conduct conditions in energy:
- Act No. 251/2012 Coll. (pdf) on energy and on amendments and supplements of certain Acts
- Act No. 657/2004 Coll. on Heat Energy.
License is necessary to obtain for the following activities:
in heat sector:
- heat generation
- generation and distribution of heat or heat supply for a consumer or an end- consumer
in energy sector:
- production, transmission, distribution and supply of electricity
- production, transport, distribution and supply of gas
- operation of pipelines for the transport of fuels or oil
- operation of equipment for filling of pressure vessels
- operation of equipment for the distribution of liquefied hydrocarbon gas
Confirmation on fulfilment of communication duty is required for the following activities:
- generation and supply of electricity by a generation facility with the total installed capacity of up to 1 MW
- generation and supply of electricity generated from renewable sources of energy by a generation facility with the total installed capacity of up to 1 MW, provided the electricity is generated and supplied in
- small hydro plants
- wind power plants
- solar power plants
- geothermal power plants
- biogas plants
- biomass plants
- production and supply of gas from biomass
- production and supply of gas from biogas
- sale of compressed natural gas to be used as fuel for motor vehicles,
- transport of extracted oil from the place of extraction to the place of processing,
- sale of liquefied hydrocarbon gas in pressure vessels of up to 100 liters,
- sale of liquefied hydrocarbon gas to be used as fuel for motor vehicles,
- transport of liquefied hydrocarbon gas in pressure vessels.
The license is not required for the activities which are not the subject of business conduct in energy sector:
- electricity generation, electricity distribution, gas production and gas distribution for one´s own consumption
- electricity supply and gas supply for other natural persons or legal persons for purchase prices without any further increase; the price of such supplied electricity and gas units must be equal to the price in tax certificate issued in connection with supply of electricity and supply of gas if this does not cover business conduct according to a special provision
These activities must be reported to the Office by a natural or legal person.
Gas supply license - requirements
an official license for a natural/legal entity for business conduct in energy for gas supply is required for the following commercial activities:
- sale of gas to gas customers in Slovakia
- sale of gas to gas traders in the territory of the Slovak Republic (in the entry-exit point of slovak TSO eustream, a.s. "Domestic point")
Necessary documents to be submitted for obtaining a license for a legal person are as follows:
1. Application Form (in Slovak language) - existing branch [xls]
(Application form for issuing a business licence in energy - sheet "Právnická osoba/Legal person")
+ Extract from the Commercial Register
+ Statement of Criminal records of the Statutory Body or the members of the Statutory Body, and thus not older than 3 months
2. Application Form (in Slovak language) - EU trading license (If you provide some of trading license issued in other countries of EU) [xls]
(Application form for issuing a licence for foreign legal person)
+ Slovak translation of the license issued in other country of EU
3. Administration fee for issuing of a licence for a natural/legal entity conductin business in energy for gas supply (2000 €) is paid once for all period of exercising the licence. The applicant will pay the fee after he will be reqested to do so. A license is granted for an indefinite period of time. The license will be issued within 30 days.
an official license is not required for the following activities:
- storing gas in Slovak gas storage facility
- gas transit (across the territory of Slovakia)
- sale of gas to gas traders/industrial customers in any entry-exit cross border point of slovak TSO eustream, a.s.: "Veľké Kapušany, Lanžhot, Baumgarten, Veľké Zlievce, Budince"
- gas trading at a VTP (Virtual Trading Point of eustream is a place where the TSO (via the Title Transfer service) allows the change of gas ownership not only between network users with booked transmission capacity, but also between registered gas traders)
The issuance of licenses is in the responsibility of the Legal Department (Mrs Valachová, email@example.com).
License owners - reporting obligation towards ÚRSO
In case the supplier does some trade in 2014 (sale of gas to gas consumers in the territory of Slovakia) he should
- within 30 days of the commencement of the activity submit to the Office for approval the Rules for allocation of assets and liabilities, costs and revenues according to the Ordinance of the Office No. 446/2012 Coll., when there is more activities performed in the enterprise. The supplier shall submit this rules only once to the address (Úrad pre reguláciu sieťových odvetví, Odbor regulácie kvality a analýz, Pavla Mudroňa 45, 036 01 Martin) and they are valid for an indefinite period.
- If the supplier performs only one of the activities of gas supply to the households or gas supply to non-households customers and he does not perform any other activity at the same time, he should within 30 days of the commencement of the activity inform the Office about not submitting these rules for this reason, by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- by 28. February 2015 submit to the Office the data relating to the assessed quality standards for the previous year (2014) (in case of sale of gas to the end-users) by e-mail (email@example.com) and publish it on the supplier´s website. Standard form is available at Office´s webpage.
- by 30. April 2015 submit to the Office the data relating outputs from separate records which are the subject of accounting for the previous year (2014) according to the Annexe No. 9 of the Ordinance of the Office No. 446/2012 Coll. to the address (Úrad pre reguláciu sieťových odvetví, Odbor regulácie kvality a analýz, Pavla Mudroňa 45, 036 01 Martin) and by e-mail at the same time (firstname.lastname@example.org). Standard form is available at Office´s webpage.
- before planned commencement of the performance of gas supply to the households or gas supply to the small bussiness submit the price proposal to the Office (Úrad pre reguláciu sieťových odvetví, Odbor regulácie plynárenstva, Bajkalská 27, P.O.BOX 12, 820 07 Bratislava). The price proposal is valid to the end of the regulatory period - to the end of 2016. The regulated entity shall submit the price proposal for the next regulatory period (2017-2021) before 30 September 2016.
- before planned commencement of the performance of gas supply to the households or gas supply to the small bussiness submit the Commercial terms of gas supply drafted according to the sample of Commercial terms published at the Office´s webpage (Úrad pre reguláciu sieťových odvetví, Odbor regulácie plynárenstva, Bajkalská 27, P.O.BOX 12, 820 07 Bratislava)
- in case of performing gas supply to the households or gas supply to the small bussiness, fulfill other obligations of gas supplier according to the § 29 Act on Regulation, mostly: to publish the regulated prices and approved Commercial terms at the webpage of the supplier, comply with the gas market rules and obligations towards the household end customers (§ 17 and § 69 Act on Energy Industry)
- notify the Office - gas regulation department (email@example.com) of one contact person (e-mail) for the purpose of requesting data for the Annual report of the Office and information necessary for exercising the Office´s jurisdiction. The data needed for the Annual or National Report are requested by e-mail or by a letter.
In case the supplier (license owner) does not do any trades in 2014, he should
- by 28. February 2015 inform the Office stating that he did not perform any activity in the previous year, for which a license was issued, by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- by 30. April 2015 inform the Office that he did not submit any outputs from separate records according to the Annex No. 9 of the Ordinance of the Office No. 446/2012 Coll., by e-mail (email@example.com)
All reports should be in Slovak language.